USGS Science Data Catalog (SDC)
The Science Data Catalog describes USGS-produced, authoritative data that have undergone the data release process outlined in USGS Fundamental Science Practices. The Catalog includes metadata describing individual datasets, data collections, and observational or remotely-sensed data contained in national systems (rather than records about individual observations).
Content formerly available in the USGS CSAS Member Node is now available at the SDC.
#6 Updated by Laura Moyers about 8 years ago
- Target version changed from Deploy by end of Y1Q4 to Deploy by end of Y2Q1
- Assignee changed from Mark Servilla to Laura Moyers
SDC originally set up in sandbox. Ranjeet et al. made some changes to the content (that passes validation). This new content will be harvested in the stage environment to ensure no adverse impact from these changes before transitioning to production. Certificates for production have been generated (7/8/15).
Laura to work with Ranjeet to develop a news item to put out for formal announcement. We'll also need a logo/MNDD so we can show SDC as upcoming.
#7 Updated by Bruce Wilson about 8 years ago
Discussed the issue of some metadata not validating according to the declared schema at the LT meeting October 30, 2015. The conclusion from this meeting is that we will ensure that the metadata that passes validation gets ingested. There is a separate task to decide how best to handle the data which is at least well-formed XML but doesn't match the schema that's declared in the file.
#8 Updated by Laura Moyers about 8 years ago
- NodeIdentifier changed from urn:node:SDC to urn:node:USGS_SDC
- Status changed from Testing to In Review
- % Done changed from 50 to 80
- MN Description set to The Science Data Catalog is an initiative by the USGS Core Science Analytics and Synthesis (CSAS) program to locate, evaluate, and access Earth Science data and information. It contains standardized metadata descriptions of Earth Science data sets and information products -- contributed from USGS research organizations -- to help scientists discover a broad spectrum of data.
- Base URL set to http://usgs.ornl.gov/USGS_MN/mn
Approved in production 11/4/15.
#9 Updated by Laura Moyers about 8 years ago
- MN_Date_Online set to 2015-11-12
- Status changed from In Review to Operational
Announced 11/12/15; live in production with 4464 records. Tickets 7083 and 7461 address the remaining ~1400 records which do not currently pass validation due to the presence of ESRI tags.
#11 Updated by Laura Moyers about 8 years ago
The USGS CSAS MN will be deprecated. As part of this process, CSAS content will need to be replicated at another MN, and we are considering replicating that CSAS content at SDC. Since SDC is currently Tier 1, we'll have to evaluate the ramifications of taking it to Tier 4, allowing replication.