The Rolling Deck to Repository (R2R) (http://www.rvdata.us/)
Main contact: Bob Arko firstname.lastname@example.org
As of today, the R2R repository holds over 17,444,740 data files from 3686 cruises using 26 vessels.
Implementation: Interested in deploying this using DSpace which they already have operational.
Associated with GeoLink project which Matt Jones and Mark Schildhauer are on.
#8 Updated by Laura Moyers over 5 years ago
Meeting 7 September 2016 with Bob, Dave, Mark and Laura: Bob wants to implement a Slender Node in order to have a MN presence sooner rather than later, but "later" he'd like to revisit the DSpace implementation.
CSW endpoint decisions
plan for hosting the GMN
investigate more sophisticated geometries
ensure GMN v2 is live
update redmine ticket to reflect our new direction
Meeting notes: https://epad.dataone.org/pad/p/R2R_and_DataONE
#10 Updated by Laura Moyers over 5 years ago
Meeting 28 September 2016 with Bob, Dave, Mark and Laura. Meeting notes: https://epad.dataone.org/pad/p/R2R_and_DataONE
From last time:
- CSW endpoint decisions http://api.rvdata.us/
question: what's the mutability of this content? metadata could change if we learn more about a cruise, but the DOI will NOT change the R2R DOI will be conceptually the SID (series identifier); the PID could be the checksum of the object, or a timestamp (if that is reliable) clarification: R2R will be metadata-only at least at first. Bob says he'd like to include a link back to the actual content/data in the metadata. provide a couple NCEI examples to Bob a single cruise can have multiple data sets associated with it, each with its own DOI comment: an abstract would be helpful in discovery there is a lengthy POC section (wonder how this would render?) Bob wants to update DOIs in his endpoint, etc. - plan for hosting the GMN - preferred that long-term, R2R host the GMN, but for our December (R2R: 1 Dec; DataONE: 7 Dec) deadlines, it would be easier for DataONE to host the GMN (which Bob could later grab and "copy")
- investigate more sophisticated geometries - Dave had talked with Lauren, who said that as long as the path is expressed in the metadata, the rendering of such shouldn't be a problem. This is for results for a single data package. The overall geospatial rendering or data density (i.e. for all R2R content), it would be a little more difficult to render cruise paths. Requires geohashes.
- ensure GMN v2 is live
- update redmine ticket to reflect our new direction (DONE)
- Firm up the CSW implementation
- ensure gmd: date stamp reflects the last updated date
- add in online distribution info (URL)
- Send NCEI examples to Bob (including online distribution info) (Dave)
https://cn.dataone.org/cn/v2/resolve/%7B289A1374-D916-42F3-97C4-90F0E188E96C%7D https://cn.dataone.org/cn/v2/resolve/%7BF52B9C6F-681D-453C-AE24-31AAB68AD069%7D https://cn.dataone.org/cn/v2/resolve/%7B23071751-5A5F-4C04-A0BC-A92C8A4E0C91%7D Service Title: //gmd:distributionInfo/gmd:MD_Distribution/gmd:distributor/gmd:MD_Distributor/gmd:distributorTransferOptions/gmd:MD_DigitalTransferOptions/gmd:onLine/gmd:CI_OnlineResource/gmd:name/gco:CharacterString Service Description: //gmd:distributionInfo/gmd:MD_Distribution/gmd:distributor/gmd:MD_Distributor/gmd:distributorTransferOptions/gmd:MD_DigitalTransferOptions/gmd:onLine/gmd:CI_OnlineResource/gmd:description/gco:CharacterString Service Type: //gmd:distributionInfo/gmd:MD_Distribution/gmd:distributor/gmd:MD_Distributor/gmd:distributorTransferOptions/gmd:MD_DigitalTransferOptions/gmd:onLine/gmd:CI_OnlineResource/gmd:protocol/gco:CharacterString Service Endpoint: //gmd:distributionInfo/gmd:MD_Distribution/gmd:distributor/gmd:MD_Distributor/gmd:distributorTransferOptions/gmd:MD_DigitalTransferOptions/gmd:onLine/gmd:CI_OnlineResource/gmd:linkage/gmd:URL | //gmd:distributionInfo/gmd:MD_Distribution/gmd:transferOptions/gmd:MD_DigitalTransferOptions/gmd:onLine/gmd:CI_OnlineResource/gmd:linkage/gmd:URL
- Set up GMN when v2 is available (testing GMN v2, the R2R adapter/connector, and the R2R endpoint)
- Laura to create redmine tickets for the searchUI mods (Lauren can execute when there is R2R data available)
- Mark to inquire with Roger re: GMNv2
- Mark to set up a VM for a test instance of GMNv2
- Laura to verify existence of MNDD - DONE, on redmine ticket #6922
#13 Updated by Laura Moyers about 5 years ago
- Assignee changed from Laura Moyers to Monica Ihli
- Status changed from Testing to In Review
- % Done changed from 50 to 80
In review. As of 19 December 2015, there were 1820 objects on the R2R MN, 1781 on the CNs and 1781 indexed. We need to identify as much as possible if the cause of the non-sync condition is something that Bob can fix at the MN level or not.
#14 Updated by Laura Moyers almost 5 years ago
- MN_Date_Online set to 2017-01-18
- Software stack changed from Slender Node (GMN) -DSpace- to Slender Node (GMN)
- Status changed from In Review to Operational
We are still investigating 39 objects which did not synchronize. We think these are all ones which have an invalid date format in the system metadata.
#16 Updated by Laura Moyers almost 5 years ago
- MN Description changed from The Rolling Deck to Repository (R2R) program aims to develop comprehensive fleet-wide management of underway data to ensure preservation of and access to our national oceanographic research data resources. R2R provides is a central gateway through which underway data from oceanographic expeditions will be routinely cataloged and securely transmitted to national long-term archives including the National Geophysical Data Center (NGDC) and National Oceanographic Data Center (NODC). Data submission will be established through vessel operators rather than individual science parties. to Rolling Deck to Repository (R2R) is the repository for environmental sensor data routinely acquired by oceanographic vessels in the U.S. academic research fleet. The fleet supports hundreds of expeditions around the world each year, ranging from oceans to coasts and estuaries to the Great Lakes. R2R provides a master catalog of expeditions (cruises); an inventory of original field datasets; processed datasets including shiptrack navigation; and links to related publications and content at partner repositories.
MN Description changed per Bob Arko. To be shown on MN profile page in DataONE Search.
#17 Updated by Matthew Jones almost 5 years ago
Laura -- the MN description text is controlled by the MN through the updateCapabilities() service, that gives them the ability to change their own name, description, etc. in the node registry. After they change it, we may need to trigger an update on the CN end before it shows up, but it should be in their control.