NCEI - National Centers for Environmental Information
This issue is to track the contact to and potential deployment of an NODC (National Oceanic Data Center) member node.
Google doc outlining plans: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1C2UB67KsL1YmZG8qFlMcZneNbbsopPO4zMtTLY7-IQE/edit
#5 Updated by John Cobb almost 9 years ago
- Due date changed from 2014-01-31 to 2014-08-01
- Target version changed from Deploy by end of Y5Q2 to Deferred
Documenting conversation with John Cobb, Dave Vieglais, and Matt Jones at the Knoxville Meeting in July:
NODC does not, at present have logging capability. How this will be resolved is not yet known. NODC may implement this functionality, or slender node might finesse the issue or ...
Moving to a deferred wait-state while a work-out is found.
#7 Updated by Bruce Wilson about 8 years ago
- Due date deleted (
- Status changed from Deferred to New
- Target version deleted (
- Start date deleted (
Moving this out of Deferred and into the Backlog, as the developments with the DAP MN stack make this a more feasible option.
#8 Updated by Matthew Jones over 7 years ago
Through contacts with NODC, the sent the following service endpoints that may be the best place for implementation of a Slender Node. I suspect that CSW would work well for this.
links to our WAF and some example landing pages. We do also provide CSW, OpenSearch and OAI-PMH endpoints to the the metadata so you can see it through those services as well.
NODC ISO WAF: http://data.nodc.noaa.gov/nodc/archive/metadata/approved/iso/
NODC ISO landing page
CSW for collection level discovery
Opensearch description for collection level discovery
#9 Updated by Matthew Jones over 7 years ago
An example CSW request that lists the first 20 records from their CSW service:
Each of these records has an embedded link to the associated ISO metadata document, such as:
It also has a link to a service that lists the data granules, which in this case there are more than 16K:
We would need a way to get SystemMetadata for all of the data granules, particularly the checksum.
#14 Updated by Laura Moyers about 7 years ago
- Subject changed from NODC member node to NCEI - National Centers for Environmental Information (was NODC)
- NodeIdentifier set to urn:node:NCEI
- MN Tier set to Tier 1
- Software stack set to CSW slender node
NODC has finished their reorganization with NCDC and NGDC, so we should refer to this MN as NCEI now (National Centers for Environmental Information)
#19 Updated by Laura Moyers over 6 years ago
- Status changed from Ready to Operational
- MN Description set to The NOAA National Centers for Environmental Information (NCEI) manages the world's largest collection of freely available oceanographic data. The oceanographic archive includes data dating back to the 1700s from every imaginable platform and from every corner of the world ocean. NCEI is the merger of NOAA's three former National Data Centers: The National Oceanographic Data Center (NODC), the National Climatic Data Center (NCDC), and the National Geophysical Data Center (NGDC). Currently, the holdings of the former NODC are available through DataONE though NCEI is investigating the possibility of including more of its environmental data holdings from the atmospheric, climatic, and geophysical domains.
- Base URL set to https://www.ncei.noaa.gov/
The metadata-only version of the NCEI MN is operational and in production. Additional functionality will be deployed as developed/tested.