(Requirement) Consistent mechanism for identifying users
It is necessary to provide a mechanism for users to be identified in the DataONE system. There are several distinct roles that need to be supported for users.Rationale: Identity of users, contributors and other participants in DataONE is necessary to ensure appropriate policies for data sharing (read, write), attribution, and notification (e.g. subscription to types of data).
- Users can identify themselves in the DataONE system
- Identity is consistent across all nodes (i.e. identity associated with an object is consistent regardless of where the object is retrieved from or acted on)
- Users can associate various accounts with a single identity
- Identity information is sufficient to ensure appropriate attribution to content
- Authentication and authorization mechanisms are recognized consistently by all participant nodes and services of the cicore.
- Existing user directories in use in environmental science community can directly contribute identities (not "yet another" identity system)