(Requirement) Enable efficient mechanisms for users to discover content
There will likely be a very large number of data and metadata objects cataloged by the DataONE infrastructure. These are accessible by their unique identifiers, but it is also necessary to provide mechanisms for users to discover content that is relevant to some purpose.
Without a mechanism to search content, DataONE will be little more than a large hash table - a useful functionality in itself but insufficient to help users discover useful information.
- A mechanism to search the entire holdings of DataONE is available
- Searches are possible using fields useful to to the users
- Searches return accurate results
- Searches support precise results
- Searches are fast. (how fast?)
- the user community is satisfied with the search functionality
- Searches can be performed using tools familiar to the users (web browser, analytical tools)