Story #1329: ^^^^ Items To Discuss ^^^^
Use subject instead of NodeRef
We currently have two ways to reference nodes, by their NodeRef and by their subject. I think we should consider changing the APIs to only use the subject. Rationale:
- Having only a single way to reference a node would make for a cleaner architecture.
- It may help to simplify code on the CN because the CN already has to check that a NodeRef it receives in an API call belongs to the calling subject.
- It may help to simplify code on MNs because there would be one less field to keep track of and because there would be no need to check if NodeRefs are valid and/or map between NodeRefs and subjects.
- Using subject is safer since it can't be modified by the client (it is in the certificate).
Robert raised an issue that would have to be addressed:
- A single NodeRef can have multiple subjects.